This is an unbelievably delicious recipe that is low in calories and low in carbs. Panna cotta is an Italian dessert of sweetened cream thickened with gelatin and flavored with Kahlúa extract or rum extract, coffee, vanilla and many other flavorings. This is my Grand-Mom Verdi’s recipe from the old country that has been made low carb and weight loss friendly. So enjoy this amazing recipe.
It looks like it takes so much time to make but it really does not take that much time at all. This recipe is going to make six servings and each of them has approximately 100 cal, 10.2 g of fat, 2.5 g of protein 0.5 g of carbohydrates in 0 g of fiber. Just be aware that this recipe does call for 1 teaspoon of Kahlúa extract or rum extract.
- grass fed powder gelatin – 1 tablespoon
- brewed decaffeinated espresso – 1/2 cup, cooled
- heavy cream – 2 cups
- mascarpone cheese – 4 ounces
- one vanilla bean strip
- vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Kahlúa or rum extract – 1 teaspoon
- Sea salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- unsweetened cocoa powder for a garnish over top
- Begin by mixing in a saucepan the cooled espresso coffee in the gelatin. Allow a time to mix together and soften. This should normally take about one minute. Next heat the gelatin and espresso mixture over top low heat until the gelatin has totally dissolved. Then add the heavy cream, mascarpone cheese and the vanilla bean seeds to the saucepan. Heat this over medium heat for approximately one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in your rum extract or Kahlúa extract and the salt. Next take six glasses or ramekins and divide the mixture between them. Let this cool to room temperature and then cover them and let them chill for at least four hours. I prefer to let this chill overnight. When you are ready to serve just sprinkle over top the unsweetened cocoa powder or you could even use sugar-free chocolate syrup if you prefer.
For your free weight loss consultation call us at 215-821-7336
*This recipe is from the ketogenic cook book by jimmy Moore and maria Emmerich. It has become one of my favorite recipes since being diagnosed with diabetes and these recipes have been great in satisfying my desire to eat delicious food that are low in the glycemic index. It should be part of your kitchen library.