In our Philadelphia weight loss program our goal is to have our weight loss patients lose 2 – 5 pounds per week and we try to make this an easy and tasty process. So here are a 4 great recipes for 400 calorie meals that will make losing weight simple and delicious.
Everyone loves dessert and almost everyone loves a good apple pie so our first recipe is going to be for Apple pie.
- 1/2 cup of graham crackers, crushed
- 5 apples quartered and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of allspice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
Spray a microwavable safe pie plate with nonstick vegetable oil spray. Spread the graham cracker crumbs in the plate. Cover with the Apple slices. Sprinkle with the spices. Sprinkle the raisins over top. Pour the juice over this. Cover and microwave for about 15 minutes. This makes 8 servings and each serving had about 81 calories.
*Chile Relleno Casserole
Now this recipe is usually for lunch or dinner but we’re going to add in strict and to it and make it a recipe that’s suitable for breakfast.
- 4 ounces of green chili peppers
- 8 ounces of low-fat cheddar cheese grated
- 4 ounces low-fat Monterey Jack cheese grated
- 1 cup of egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 14 ounces of fat-free evaporated milk
- Rinse the chilies and remove the seeds. Place half the Chilies in a greased casserole dish. Sprinkle half of both of the cheeses on top of this and then add the remaining chilies. And top this with the rest of the cheese. Beat the egg substitute, flour and evaporated milk together until its smooth. Pour over the top and bake for approximately 45 minutes in 350°F. This makes approximately 3 servings.
- 4 whole-wheat tortillas, 8 inch
- 2 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 ounces of turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup of onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of red or green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup of skim milk
Heat the tortillas and place in a small dish such as a Super Bowl that has been sprayed with nonstick oil spray. Top with half of the cheese. Cook fish sausage, onion and peppers and then add them to this dish. Mix together the remaining ingredients and pour over top. Top with the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350°F for about 30 to 35 minutes until the eggs are set. This makes 4 servings
- 1 cup of dates, firmly packed
- 1 cup of apple juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoons of peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of molasses
- 1 tablespoon of walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup of coconut
- 1/2 cup of raisins
- 2 1/3 cups of whole-wheat flour or almond flour
- 2 cups of quick cooking oats
Blend the dates and apple juice concentrate until smooth; add the peanut butter, honey, vanilla and molasses. Blend well and place in a mixing bowl. Add the nuts, Coconut, raisins and flour and mix well. Add the rolled oats and blend, you can use your hands if needed. Spoon this mixture onto nonstick cookie sheet and press with the wet fork or your fingers until it’s about 1/4 inch thick. Bake at 300°F for about 20 minutes. Each cookie has 86 calories.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do and if you need help with losing weight I invite you to call us and schedule a consultation. Call us at 215-821-7336
*These recipes are from the book 500 – 400-Calorie Recipes by Dick Logue. You should definitely have this book in your kitchen for delicious low calorie meals.